Swamp Stompers Forums

Go Back   Swamp Stompers Forums > Public Forums > General Talk
First Page FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-17-2011, 12:03 PM   #11
Haggar
Hagnam Style

I have gone back and forth about if I would want it to be dunesready. I don't want to run chambered mufflers. I also would do things different in the cage and the suspension. If its for the street I only want 6 or 7 inches of wheel travel. I'm really thinking of selling it all off...just don't know...
Haggar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 08:32 PM   #12
Haggar
Hagnam Style

But, if I get rid of the scrambler, I'd probably make it dunes-able, so we could still go there once or twice a year.

Really agonizing over things. I like 4 wheeling, but I don't think I'm going neough to justify my money and time that go into it.

Anyone want to buy a scrambler project?
Old 10-17-2011, 08:32 PM   #13
four_by_ken
Swamp Stomper Friend

Let me know on those Bronco axles and 5.13s
four_by_ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 09:13 PM   #14
Haggar
Hagnam Style

Quote:
Originally Posted by four_by_ken View Post
Let me know on those Bronco axles and 5.13s
Any time you have the cash I'll go get them...

If I remember right, its got a nice cast iron diff cover on the front, and some alloy shafts in there. locker in the front. I have a mini spool for the back (not installed)
Old 10-18-2011, 12:32 PM   #15
Haggar
Hagnam Style

Have spent all week thinking about this. Over last 6 years I've not made more than 4 trips per year, averaging 2.3 events per year. That is not enough to justify the hundreds of hours wneching and thousands apon thousands put into all the jeeps and the yota. I really think its time to pull the plug.
Old 10-19-2011, 09:06 AM   #16
MrClean
I'm handy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggar View Post
Have spent all week thinking about this. Over last 6 years I've not made more than 4 trips per year, averaging 2.3 events per year. That is not enough to justify the hundreds of hours wneching and thousands apon thousands put into all the jeeps and the yota. I really think its time to pull the plug.
I've often pondered the same thing, you're not alone. The only thing I can really add to this that keeps me coming back is the smiles on my kids/families faces when we are actually out enjoying nature in a way that a lot don't. If it's climbing test hill or down a 2 track, it's always nice to get the family out even on the rare occasion that we get to go.

I don't know if this is the case or not, but I know that many times during my build I just wanted to be done with it all and through in the towel. For some reason I just pushed on through and I'm glad I did. I don't know what it is, but it's way more fun to even go get ice cream in the jeep than it is to pile into the Yukon. It's money, time, and a lot of stress to endure, but the end result seems to be worth it at the end of the day
MrClean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 10:26 AM   #17
swampjeep
Proud NEW Daddy!

and this makes me think about what Jason, Bruce and I talked about at lunch last week, how we all seem to most enjoy the basic runs, with a more basic vehicle.

That's why my jeep is going on 33's. I don't have the time or money, and the usage it will get definately wouldn't justify any more then that.

We had so much fun on our event pre-runs with near stock rigs...
Old 10-19-2011, 11:43 AM   #18
swampjeep
Proud NEW Daddy!

BTW, I'm not knocking the built rigs, I love them too, but I don't have the time or money for them right now.

Last edited by swampjeep : 10-19-2011 at 01:00 PM.
swampjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 03:21 PM   #19
MrClean
I'm handy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampjeep View Post
BTW, I'm not knocking the built rigs, I love them too, but I don't have the time or money for them right now.
Thanks for knocking my built rig
x2, I agree with you
MrClean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 06:02 PM   #20
Haggar
Hagnam Style

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrClean View Post
Thanks for knocking my built rig
x2, I agree with you
You don't have any cheap XJs in your pocket, do you?

I can toss a 4 inch lift and 32s on one cheap with my tire discount. Make another front bumper, I have a spare winch. Fits 5. problem solved.

Then I sell the scrambler chassis, and build my hot rod.

I guess I have to agree, and I have noted the same thing. The SCrambler, I love it, but the environment has changed. Right now, I'm mostly looking to go out in the woods with my boys. That is the single biggest thing that will keep me doing it. The money and work in the scrambler is too much for a couple trips a year. But, a stock XJ with a basic setup would be good for snow (my blue one on 31s was fun), good for adventure, good for SL, etc. And $3000-$4000 into a Jeep is a lot more the ballpark for the amount I would use it.

So, I need to go find an XJ or something....

Last edited by Haggar : 10-19-2011 at 06:26 PM.