Swamp Stompers Forums

Go Back   Swamp Stompers Forums > Public Forums > General Talk
First Page FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-22-2010, 08:51 PM   #21
Haggar
Hagnam Style

Dana 18s and 20s use the same case, the 20 has a centered rear axle, the 18 is offset.
Haggar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 08:56 PM   #22
Dragon wagon

Trans is a standard 3 speed .

I kind a want to put the dauntless V6 in it but the 4 is just a bolt in project . Keep the 6 for another day i guess .

Think i am going to move the 71 dash over . has the factory clock nicer grab handles and stuff on it . looks like the 4 is missing the alternator set up . Easy to put a newer Gm alt on it any way . Has a ford style regulator on the firewall , guessing they used ford charge system . 71 is all GM stuff .

Does the v6 bellhousing bolt up the the 4 banger trans ? My guess is yes with out looking it over .
Dragon wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 10:07 PM   #23
Dragon wagon

Jason or John , got any soft top stuff for this 5 ? I gots no roof

Where i bought the 68 he has another one with an all steel roof sort like the old broncos . Were them factory ?
Old 08-23-2010, 07:07 AM   #24
swampjeep
Proud NEW Daddy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon wagon View Post
Jason or John , got any soft top stuff for this 5 ? I gots no roof

Where i bought the 68 he has another one with an all steel roof sort like the old broncos . Were them factory ?
what the other 68 like and how much? I still would like to have an older cj5 or flattie, I dont' thing the steel roofs are factory, but there was an after market company that made lots of them, even sold them thru dealerships with jeeps, so they seemed factory if I recall

oh, and I believe I have a soft top for you, it's blue, go t it from Roy a few years ago, not sure what year is was for though, maybe Roy will remember what year it's for.
Old 08-23-2010, 07:52 AM   #25
Jeeppoor

Nope. Sorry but I do not remember what year the top is for.

Don't worry there's still two tires on the ground.

"Life's goal is not to reach the grave safely in a well preserved body. But to slide in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy Shit, what a ride."
Jeeppoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 09:04 AM   #26
Dragon wagon

Murph that other 5 has the steel tub and i " think " it was repairable . Had a bunch of bees around and in it so i didnt look it over to well . Has the 4 cyl , 3 speed trans and twin stick T case . Has a plow on it and looked like 31 " tires and wagon wheels .

Suppose to run but needed brake work . Leaked fluid . Drivers floor looked rotted , had something throwed over it and id bet it was covering a hole . I have an email or phone number if you want . wanted 500 for it also .
Old 08-23-2010, 09:06 AM   #27
MrClean
I'm handy...

Quote:
Murph that other 5 has the steel tub and i " think " it was repairable . Had a bunch of bees around and in it so i didnt look it over to well . Has the 4 cyl , 3 speed trans and twin stick T case . Has a plow on it and looked like 31 " tires and wagon wheels .

Suppose to run but needed brake work . Leaked fluid . Drivers floor looked rotted , had something throwed over it and id bet it was covering a hole . I have an email or phone number if you want . wanted 500 for it also .
Sounds like a road trip to me

Good finds Marv
The newest find looks great! I think you will be a busy boy with these. Start a build thread so we can all keep track of them if you would please.
Old 08-23-2010, 09:25 AM   #28
swampjeep
Proud NEW Daddy!

Quote:

yeah, I would be interested in the email, might be more of a project then I want, but I'd like to find out more about it before I wave it off.
Old 08-23-2010, 09:26 AM   #29
Haggar
Hagnam Style

*Likely* a blue soft top was a 76-later, they were factory options (on ones like the Levi's edition). You will need a 55-75 soft top for those. The difference is in the windshield, its 4" wide at the top, and more upright, on the early ones.

There are 3 major styles of CJ-5s:

Early: 1955-1971 (also 1952+ M38A1 army jeeps), these have either 4 or the V6, 3 speeds, Dana 18s, straight frames, short narrow springs, closed knuckle fronts, early windshield, and an 81" wheelbase (short front clip).

Intermediate: 1972-1975, these have the modern engines 232/258/304 (258s are rare), Newer T14/15 3 speeds (T18s were possible), Dana 20 cases, open knuckle dana 30 fronts, (still dana 44 rears), straight frames, short narrow springs, early windshields, 84" wheelbase with the late style clips.

Late: 1976-1983, these are up to date with the CJ7s/8s, they have 258s, 304s, and then iron duke 2.5s, 3, 4, and 5, speeds, D20s and later D300s, AMC20 rear axles, longer wider springs, flared frames, laid-back windshields, disc brakes, etc...
Old 08-23-2010, 09:27 AM   #30
Haggar
Hagnam Style

Hard tops were made by lots of companies, even Montgomery wards and sears. The 75 I had fromth egold dome was a Fisher (that makes snowplows.). Not factory, but you could get the aftermarket ones as dealer options...

Actually, no hard or soft top was a 'factory' option until 1976 I think.