Swamp Stompers Forums

Go Back   Swamp Stompers Forums > Public Forums > General Talk
First Page FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-15-2009, 12:54 PM   #1
Haggar
Hagnam Style

Default RC cars/trucks/crawlers.... what should I get?

I'm getting the itch to get a new RC truck. Who's got stuff, what do you have/like/etc?

I used to play with those in the 80s, 90s, but its been over 10 years since I bought anything other than toys.

Right now, we've just got a Nylint (Scorpion), and my old Tamiya Dirt Thrasher (4wd buggy, from 1995).

Love the size of the nylint, but, well, they aren't 'hobbyist' level, and its limited in what I can tinker with it.

My dirt thrasher is fun, decent enough speed for my yard, but its limited by its tire size (about 3" tall tires).

so thinking of something bigger.

I REALLY don't want a ready-to-run, though, as I LOVE the building/customizing process. Bummer, as I like a lot of the traxxas products. Maybe I'd consider one, the summit looks pretty cool. E-revos and E-maxxs are pretty sweet.

Thinking a lot about an Axial AX-10 crawler, would be fun to drive around the house with, I bet. My dirt thrasher has no reverse and 25mph in the house isn't fun.

anyone have any thoughts?
Haggar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 03:51 PM   #2
Tippy

I really liked mine, I had the Taxxas sledgehammer, then moved to the race trucks with the RC10T's. Last year I was looking to buy one of the newer style trucks, they have came so far in the last 10 yrs. I like the Traxxas, but its just a brand like ford and chevy anymore.

The one thing I would switch to though is gas powered, I've always had electric, and now it seams gas is the way to go. I would rather go fast, as they do make paddle tires for these and there are quite a few people that run these in the pedestrian areas at the dunes.

Here is a good site for crawlers, and this is the one I like. Except I have yet to see a gas crawler, http://www.ckrccrawlers.com/shop/ind...index&cPath=24
Old 06-15-2009, 04:05 PM   #3
Haggar
Hagnam Style

The highest power electrics can run just as fast now as the gas. Again, its amazing how far they've come. Brushless motors with lithium polymer batteries, but they are pricey!

I just wish the traxxas stuff was in kit form. They certainly have some nice stuff. The summit looks pretty cool, pushbutton locking diffs, two speed trans, etc... And the e-max/e-revos are sweet. The brushless e-revos can go over 60mph, which is insane for a electric truck that size...
Old 06-15-2009, 05:21 PM   #4
four_by_ken
Swamp Stomper Friend

I used to be really into RC cars when I was little. All electric. Truck pulls... everything.

Then I got into real cars.

Then a few years ago a buddy cam by with a gas powered buggy... I havent looked back since. I just like the nitro ones a ton better. True that the electric can be just as fast... and less maintence also.... but there is just something about the nitro ones that are just too cool.

I have a t-maxx, a 1/8 buggy and aso a Titan. Get a Titan if you can find one. Most realistic like monster trucks out there. I have more fun with it than all the others put together.

Just going fast back and forth, etc... gets old. Now with the Titan... I just go where I want.
four_by_ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 08:23 PM   #5
Haggar
Hagnam Style

Jamie & Patrick both no-no'd a nitro engine truck for now. Actuall,y I agree, *for now*, as I really want the simplicity and quiet of electric.

And I'm getting more open to some of the RTR stuff from Traxxas. The Summit looks pretty cool. 7" tall tires, hi/low trans, pushbutton locking diffs. Looks like a beast, same size as the titan.

Does your titan have 1 or 2 engines?
Old 06-15-2009, 10:18 PM   #6
StartingLine
I flex on lawns

I've got an RC10 GT that i never got running right, and a Losi XXTCR from the mid 90's. I know the XXXT's are out now. It's been a while since i had them out.
Old 06-15-2009, 11:32 PM   #7
OJ
Swamp Stomper Friend

That Summit is sick, I wanted to get that for my boys for Xmas but it wasn't in production yet, I ended up getting them each an EMAXX, pretty cool but all it does is go fast, I'd get the Summit but damn, that's a lot of money.
Old 06-16-2009, 08:56 AM   #8
Haggar
Hagnam Style

Quote:
Originally Posted by OJ View Post
That Summit is sick, I wanted to get that for my boys for Xmas but it wasn't in production yet, I ended up getting them each an EMAXX, pretty cool but all it does is go fast, I'd get the Summit but damn, that's a lot of money.
Yeah, it'd be cheaper to get an E-maxx + batteries, than the Summit.

But, I think its what I'm leaning towards right now. My yard is full of trees and hills, and I couldn't really take advantage of the speed of something like the revo. The summit should be as fast as my old dirt thrasher, which is hard to keep off the trees as it is. Then being able to kick into low gear and lock the diffs and crawl stuff is pretty cool, too.
Old 06-16-2009, 05:04 PM   #9
OJ
Swamp Stomper Friend

Yer gonna let me play too right?
Old 06-17-2009, 10:26 AM   #10
SANDMAN

Holy crap some of those thing's are over $1000.00
SANDMAN is offline   Reply With Quote