Swamp Stompers Forums

Go Back   Swamp Stompers Forums > Public Forums > General Talk
First Page FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2011, 02:36 PM   #1
Haggar
Hagnam Style

Default The idea for the CJ-6 aka 'the yellow jeep' aka 'Untamed'

So, I'm going to wrap up the Scrambler soon, and then the real fun begins, time to start building my CJ6.

Background:

I bought this to build a family wheeler that fit 4 people comfortably. Then, after I got it, we found out that Ellie was on the way. And I found my Scrambler which fits 5 better than the CJ6.

And the look of the CJ6 grew on me, I just liked the way it looks, didn't want to smash it up offroad. SO, off it went to my secret storage barn, where it sits today, next to my CJ3b.

When I look at it, I am reminded of old-school drag racers of the 60s.
Haggar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 02:38 PM   #2
Haggar
Hagnam Style

So, my thought is to make this into a cool street Jeep. If I want to do off road, I have the Scrambler. But I want something nice and fun to drive on the road. I have been wanting to build some kind of hot rod for a while, and I conveniently have this in the barn, so it seems a good use of it.

Its just different enough, and the old rusty patina and cool paint job are cool looking.
Old 10-14-2011, 02:48 PM   #3
Haggar
Hagnam Style

So, I am putting together the plan now. Still have some decisions to make, but I have a decent idea of what I want / what I think would be cool.

My ideas:

Lower it down to stock height, *maybe* even an inch or so less than stock.

I really like the way narrow track axles look, with the tires tucked in. So I'm thinking narrow tracks, or CJ wide track, with a lot of backspacing, to tuck in the wheels.

Drivetrain:

Engine, I plan to use an LS3 motor. If I can find one locally, I will get that, and swap in a big cam. If not, I will buy the one from GM performance parts with the hot cam in it. With a set of headers, its good for about an even 500HP.

Transmission: Manual valve body 700R4 (I already have one, need to have it built). 3200-3600 stall converter.

Transfer case: Borg Warner 4472, which is what was used in the Typhoon AWD blazers. Ful time AWD with a 35/65% split, viscous coupled center diff.

Front axle: Narrowed Dana 30 from a TJ or similar, with 4.56 gears.

Rear axle: Ford 9" narrowed with 4.56 gears and limited slip (I already have the 3rd member with the 4.56 gears and tru track).

Frame will be 2x3 and 2x4 tube steel.

Suspension: thinking the front axle will be some kind of radius arms, the rear axle will be a 4 link. I am thinking QA1 coilovers, with about 6.5" travel. Lightweight links.

Tires will be some nice continental or general tires, of course. I'm thinking 17" rims, 29" tires, old school look to the tires. 235/65R17 fronts and 275/55R17 conti extreme contacts.

No top or doors, just a bikini top. Thinking old style low back bucket seats.

Thinking manual steering and manual brakes. Less weight, less engine drag, less complexity.

Right now, I have the Jeep, frame, trans, rear axle. Have a line on the t-case, will be picking that up soon. Need to find a front axle and then I can get it all mocked up. I'll buy the motor once I have the basic chassis done...

Basic on my measurements, it should be about 2600 lbs. 2600lbs + 500hp + AWD + 4.56 gears + 3500 stall converter, it should be rediculous to drive on the street (think 0-60 in 3 seconds flat). Hoping I get some level of 'sleeper'-ness to it.

Last edited by Haggar : 10-14-2011 at 02:51 PM.
Old 10-14-2011, 03:15 PM   #4
Haggar
Hagnam Style

The hard questions I've had, which could still change:

Paint: Should I leave it as it is, or clean, sand, repair, and repaint it?

It saves time if I run it as-is, and enjoy the 'patina' of it. I do plan to remove/change a few details. The drivers names are painted on the back, I will remove those and change them to 'Patrick' and 'Nathan'.

2wd or awd or 4wd?

THis I've been wavering on. I've thought about doing bit fat mickey sportsmans in the back, with skinnys and a beam axle up front, as a 2wd setup. I could probably be under 2300lbs this way. Or pie crust slicks and a tall nose, gasser style.

Thought about using a standard Dana 20 t-case also.

I n the end, I think the full time AWD would be cool. I'm really building it to be a hot rod. Even with the giant tires, I think if its 2wd I will spin them and not hook up. With awd, even with street tires, it should launch like an animal.

Trans: TH350 vs 700R4.. hate the reputation of 700R4s and the cost of building them. But, I want to have very low gears to get the best launch possible. And the sy/ty transfer cases are only for the 700R4. SO, 700R4 it is..

Axle width: I don't think it'd look great with wider axles. I think having the tires tucked would look the best. So that forces narrow track stuff. So I'll need to do something custom. I have a HP44 and Ford 9" with 4.56 gears, and another pair with 5.13 gears. I think the 5.13s would be too deep, but the 4.56s should be great.
Old 10-14-2011, 03:33 PM   #5
swampjeep
Proud NEW Daddy!

I think with pizza cutters up front, and a small stock wheel flare, you might be able to use the stock TJ axle, for the rear, staying with a 60's rod theme, wouldn't wide tires sticking out fit that? Even if not, it would be easier to get a rear to fit under then a front of what you want.

an other thought is with a 500 hp vehicle on the street, will manual brakes be sufficient if you need to stop quick?
Old 10-14-2011, 04:19 PM   #6
Haggar
Hagnam Style

We never ran power brakes in the road race cars. The trick is getting the pedal ratio and master cyl right.

I do have a CJ booster and YJ pedals laying around.

I was thinking to remove the flares. Not sure.
Old 10-14-2011, 04:22 PM   #7
Haggar
Hagnam Style

One of the biggest questions I have, is the cage. Do I have zero cage at all, like in the pic. Do I have a basic old-school roll bar behind the rear seat. Or a full cage.

I don't really know that I should worry about making it legal to run 10.9s at the track, or ever take it to silver lake.

It affects the frame design, and overall weight.

A full nose-to-tail cage would be 130 lbs and 150 or so for the frame (2x3).

Going to a stronger frame that doesn't need the cage would be more like 170-180 lbs but only 40 lbs of roll bar. So only 200-220lbs for the frame/cage, compared to 280-300 for a full cage.

I don't think the full cage would look right either.
Old 10-15-2011, 09:49 AM   #8
Haggar
Hagnam Style

Visually, when I see the paint on the Jeep, I think of classic drag cars of the 60s. A/GS gassers, altered A/FX cars, etc.. So I want to kinda have it look in the same vein as these kind of cars.. Not sure if I can really pull that off or not...

Old 10-15-2011, 09:52 AM   #9
Haggar
Hagnam Style

Hmm, looking at these, I *could* go leaf spring front and ladder bar rears, that'd be the right look...

I plan on Torq Thrust wheels like what most of these cars have....

That first black car (galpin gasser) and that yellow one (plain busted) have the look I like.

Last edited by Haggar : 10-15-2011 at 04:28 PM.
Old 10-17-2011, 08:23 AM   #10
Truckman

You could even do some sand drags if you wanted...
Truckman is offline   Reply With Quote