Swamp Stompers Forums

Go Back   Swamp Stompers Forums > Public Forums > General Talk
First Page FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-01-2014, 05:16 AM   #1
Jeeppoor

Default Alaska Off road Adventure

Did anyone watch the Alaska Off Adventure last night on the history channel?

Don't worry there's still two tires on the ground.

"Life's goal is not to reach the grave safely in a well preserved body. But to slide in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy Shit, what a ride."
Jeeppoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 06:45 AM   #2
swampjeep
Proud NEW Daddy!

I watched the first half, was kinda not thrilled, and tired, and since I had it recording I went to bed. It will help the world confirm the stereo typical off-roader: un-educated, tattooed, mullet wearing guys who don't care about the environment and just want to destroy stuff. I hope it doesn't continue like this the whole season.

oh, and the wheeling they showed that first day was not much to get excited about, driving thru a deep river, then silt sand, then a logging road, where they made things look bad leaving a mess in their path. They may have done it just for the drama it caused between 2 teams, but it still reflects bad on the off-roading community.

Last edited by swampjeep : 12-01-2014 at 06:48 AM.
swampjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 08:28 AM   #3
Jeeppoor

I watched the whole episode last night.
No one was wearing seat belts. I did not see a lot of spare parts. One guy bent a tie rod and straighten it with his winch. But them never changed it out when he made it to camp.
It does not show an good picture of us in the four wheel community.
I hope it gets better in both the way they show the four wheeling and the wheeling itself.

"Life's goal is not to reach the grave safely in a well preserved body. But to slide in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy Shit, what a ride."
Old 12-02-2014, 06:42 AM   #4
sportsnut44

we should do a video

immortal would look good with a mullet lol
sportsnut44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 06:54 AM   #5
swampjeep
Proud NEW Daddy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsnut44 View Post
we should do a video

immortal would look good with a mullet lol
I'm sure we could beat what they showed for their first day, and you are right, Dave would look good in a mullet LOL.
Old 12-10-2014, 09:26 PM   #6
Dragon wagon

I liked the the show because they had real wheelers , not 100 K rigs . Largest tire there was 40 " smallest 35 " BFG . Older rigs made the show more real for me then most " real " TV shows .

Red necks !! Really , do I need to start posting old photos ?
Dragon wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 07:10 AM   #7
swampjeep
Proud NEW Daddy!

Marv, there was talk about this show with a guy a few of us knew from the UP, that now lives in Alaska, he was talking about what a joke this is...

I was disappointed mostly in the type of wheeling they are showing, it isn't any more then we would do here, other then the stream crossings, and everything I've seen of Alaska wheeling prior to this show much better wheelin, without big claims like this show had.

here are quotes from Hugh, he is good friends with Dave Haley.

"I only worked on the shows permit for the filming here at Jim Creek outside Palmer. They didn't "fourwheel" across Alaska. They went to different areas and had short runs. When they were here in Palmer, they stayed at a local motel, the "area" was 5 miles from town all on paved roads. Gas was available within two miles of the parking lot. I knew Jason prior to the show and rode with him one time on a wheeling run way before the show. I met the site guy who set up the locations for the filming. Never met anyone from the show, but did see them in the Noisy Goose restaurant here in town.

Again, this show leads you to believe it was a race across the state, it wasn't. It was short filmed segments of trail rides edited to look like there was some kind of race. There is no trail across Alaska, the mountains, rivers, private land, etc get in the way. There are some fantastic areas where you can get lost for days on trails (Eureka Area) go back a hundred miles of wilderness. Some people build Moose Buggys that drive 60-70 miles back and camp for a week. They run 2.5 or 5 ton axles, ag tires and build machines that look like something out of The Road Warrior. Go on Craigslist for Anchorage and type in Moose Buggy or Hunting Buggy and you can see them. Some guys even run Unimogs or Track Rigs."
Old 12-11-2014, 02:16 PM   #8
Jeeppoor

I was reading about this "race" on Pirates.
Some of the competitors have posted on it.
Like Hugh said. There is not a trail across Alaska.
It is short runs up old logging trails that dead end. Then you turn around and head back to the road. Load up on trailers and head to the next trail head and start all over. The group is never spread out as much as they lead you to believe. They would need a much larger film crew it they were.
I was expecting more hard core wheeling than what we have seen so far. And the show does not paint a good picture of four wheels to the average Joe who’s never been four wheeling.