Swamp Stompers Forums

Go Back   Swamp Stompers Forums > Public Forums > General Talk
First Page FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-2011, 02:47 PM   #11
immortal
Improving daily!

My F250 is adequate, but I doubt I could do a camper and tow a jeep through hills without killing the motor.

Dangit John! I want a new truck too now!!
Old 03-02-2011, 03:09 PM   #12
Haggar
Hagnam Style

My 5.4 Ford tows great with the 6 speed, as good at the V10 dodge. But I'd want more for a camper also.

I am just going to get a nice 2-3 room tent and some other goodies, I can't justify a camper for as much as I would use it.
Haggar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 03:43 PM   #13
Tippy

If I could afford one of these, I'd give you a great deal on my truck. we've been looking at campers for the truck, but thinking of sticking with he motorhome for another year.
Old 03-02-2011, 07:06 PM   #14
Jeeppoor

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampjeep View Post
well, like I said, I'd consider a 6.0 too, but would preffer a 8.1, I found 1 8.1 for what looks like a decent price, it's a 4door 8' bed, that will be one LONG truck, but I'm going to call and see when I can go check it out anyways. I won't be as picky as holdign out for a short bed if I fnd a long bed with everythign I want, including decent price...
If I could only stumble on a deal like tippy did... LOL
Hmm
If you only knew someone that has one you could take it for a ride to see what it was like to drive and park.

Don't worry there's still two tires on the ground.

"Life's goal is not to reach the grave safely in a well preserved body. But to slide in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy Shit, what a ride."
Jeeppoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 07:33 PM   #15
Haggar
Hagnam Style

I've found that you get used to them in a few days. Especially since you have Jeeps driveable as daily drivers when you feel like it. I never had any issues with my long bed club cabs, and I have driven long bed crews before for work.
Haggar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 07:38 PM   #16
immortal
Improving daily!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tippy View Post
If I could afford one of these, I'd give you a great deal on my truck. we've been looking at campers for the truck, but thinking of sticking with he motorhome for another year.
You would totally wreck that wheeling
Old 03-02-2011, 07:44 PM   #17
swampjeep
Proud NEW Daddy!

Tippy, that is what I really want, but can't afford it either LOL

my old F250 was a long bed so this won't be that much longer... I think it may end up better, if I find a truck camper a little longer then 8' I could still fit it, where a short bed I don't think I could, or would even want too. If I'm going to get the whole family out camping like I want too, then it's going to take a decent camper, probably an 11' from what I've seen.
Old 03-02-2011, 08:22 PM   #18
Iceman
Short timer

John,
mine is a 2001 Chevy 2500HD with the Allison Trans. Couple things I would recommend. Check out the code history on any truck you are looking at. For example, if the ECBM is bad it is a dealer only repair, about $1K. Make sure the trans has been maintained if possible.

Mine gets about 12 MPG, period. As you know, we towed TJ's rig out to Moab last year, same MPG. It took the Rockies with no problem or hesitation what so ever, cruised right up the hills, occasionally downshifting a gear is about all.

The Allison trans is sweet (as Tippy will attest to I am sure) on hills and towing as well. You start slowing down and the trans kicks in automatically and starts assisting in the slow down.

Tow capacity on mine set up the way it is is 15K, I have a 2 1/2" Class V trailer hitch. This thing will pull down a house.

Ride is comfortable, it is fully loaded and while not a luxury sedan, rides very nice for a HD truck.

Let me know if there is anything else you may want to know about it.
Iceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 09:25 PM   #19
four_by_ken
Swamp Stomper Friend

Sheri's 6.0 has been a great truck. Huals whatever we have put behind it just fine.
Mileage is the only complaint. The 8.1l of the same year is what I shoud have got.

11-12 mpg all around, trailer or not.
four_by_ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 11:16 PM   #20
Dragon wagon

This is like any question you put on the net , contradicting answers .

Heres an example .

Talked to the son in law tonight . He has an 02 2500 HD 4 door 4x4 with the 6.0 , 15 mpg at best he said . Has not towed anything , says it has excellent power empty .

He runs a 8.1 L at work and is a dog compared to his 6.0 , maybe just a sick puppy , who knows .

I do recall complaints of single digit mpg on the 8.1 what ever year it came out . unknown if thats true .

Best suggestion , see the truck you like , but it . 1 or 2 mpg really isnt going to make much difference anyway .
Dragon wagon is offline   Reply With Quote