Swamp Stompers Forums

Go Back   Swamp Stompers Forums > Public Forums > General Talk
First Page FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-29-2010, 09:48 AM   #21
Haggar
Hagnam Style

If a big block was what I need, I'd certainly consider it. I have no problem with that. Carmen (my sister's fiance) and his family have been running drag cars for years, up to 9 second cars, he's very good at building chevy motors. So him and I coudl put together something I'm sure.

I'm sitting on about 3 jeeps worth of parts right now.

I have my scrambler, which works decently as it sits now.

I have my flatfender in pieces, which could be built into a 2 seat hardcore wheeler

I have my CJ6 which could be built into a trail jeep, or this type of cruiser/fun jeep.

I have a pair of bronco axles that have 5.13 gears in them already, also the 5.3 chevy HO motor, a 700R4, Dana 300.

I'm thinking though, that a built small block chevy would be better, to have the torque at low RPM, and get up over 400hp. I can get the 5.3 to 400hp pretty easy (cam, headers, and a tune and it'd be there), but not going to be a stump puller.
Haggar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 09:51 AM   #22
Haggar
Hagnam Style

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon wagon View Post
you mention drag racing times . If he puts in the drag race style clutch that you can tune so all the HP comes in after the launch then ill agree to your theory . straight clutch hooking up hard off the line then im sticking to my theory
Automatic trans is the plan...
Old 08-29-2010, 10:13 AM   #23
Haggar
Hagnam Style

Agian, just trying to figure out some things that we'd all have fun with.

Going to have a family-capable multipurpose trail rig, for sure. For now, that will be the scrambler.

We'd also like something to cruise with, with some horsepower. Which logically could be something fun for the sand as well, either a sand jeep, or a sand rail. If I build a 5 seater rail, I'd end up spending $25k.

I think the CJ6 could be pretty cool, look mostly stock-ish, old school paint, small lift, but then a big rumpity motor. old school michigan jeep. Almost like a hot-rod jeep.

I've wanted to build something like that for a while, where I live, a traditional chopped model A hot rod doesn't make a lot of sense.

Dunno....

I think the 5.3 would be better in the trail jeep, left stock.
Old 08-29-2010, 10:37 AM   #24
swampjeep
Proud NEW Daddy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggar View Post
blah blah blah

Dunno....

I think the 5.3 would be better in the trail jeep, left stock.

I highly agree with this, if you are really thinking of keeping both the cj8 and cj6, maybe put the 5.3 in the cj8 over this winter, then build a nice older v8 (sb or bb chevy) for the sand/street toy, but I still think too much power can be a problem with kids involved. I would hate to see you build something that would turn Patrick, Nathan, or Eli against wheelin'.
Old 08-29-2010, 10:46 AM   #25
Haggar
Hagnam Style

Yeah, I'm thinking carb'd 383 or something. Carmen's pretty decent at putting together 500hp small blocks. I'll have to talk to him about it...

A big block gets tight in a CJ, I Think, and I really would love to use the short-nose on the CJ6, which would really get tight.

Untamed was running a built 383 stroker before I got it, so I know it fits in there. If I had to, I'd rework the firewall to keep that classic stub nose on it.
Old 08-29-2010, 12:14 PM   #26
Dragon wagon

I got a huricane 4 banger ill sell 75 hp

I understand the desire for HP , it just never appealed to me much . Probable because HP is exspensive and im cheap
Dragon wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 12:19 PM   #27
swampjeep
Proud NEW Daddy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon wagon View Post
I got a huricane 4 banger ill sell 75 hp

I understand the desire for HP , it just never appealed to me much . Probable because HP is exspensive and im cheap
same for me LOL
Old 08-29-2010, 12:25 PM   #28
Dragon wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampjeep View Post
same for me LOL
I hear ya ,,,,,,,,,,,,, Mr " Murphys law "

that reminds me of auto emblems , like FORD . Hmmmm maybe i should find a few ovals , bow ties to swap around on DI this year

Maybe we could give another award to a " Ford cherokee " .
Dragon wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 01:09 PM   #29
Haggar
Hagnam Style

He's gone downhill since he stopped driving Murphys Law, and the CJ5

I love speed/power, but just not something I wanted to ever do in a trail jeep.

But for sand and street, I love the idea of a simple carb'd motor with a lot of power.

I don't see the army truck lasting too long, just since its not family-capable, and does take a lot of space. It'd eat up 1/4 of my barn. That could pay for a nice motor.

Who knows if I'd ever do it or not, just kicking the tires on the idea.

Or I could sell most everything, and just do the CJ6 with my 5.3, and be done. I've considered that, too...
Old 08-29-2010, 01:21 PM   #30
Haggar
Hagnam Style

Hmm, wonder how much power to move an M715 on the dunes......