Swamp Stompers Forums

Go Back   Swamp Stompers Forums > Public Forums > General Talk
First Page FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2010, 11:20 PM   #11
MrClean
I'm handy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon wagon View Post
Soon as i get some answer ill let ya know . Kind of thought of putting and old willys body on it when i was looking up new tubs . Whole body kit is like 2 K but for the 71 4,500.00

I aint putting that much money in it . Just want to make some thing decent out of it , not a show jeep .
I'm sure we can find something cheaper than that. I was thinking somewhere in the "$500 or less" range. I guess we'll see what Haggar and Swampjeep have to say, they usually can answer all of my questions on CJ stuff.

Definitely a good find though. $200 doesn't usually get you much these days. Looks like you have something fun and can enjoy. Last jeep I bought for $200 was my YJ....
Old 08-21-2010, 11:35 PM   #12
Dragon wagon

Ya i think we will make the most of the build and keep it low buck . My daughter stacy a number of you have met . She and her girls stayed here until it was running tonight . Tomorrow ill stick Stacy under there to do an oil change , teach her to install and set some new points in it .

Instead of built by jeep it will read built by girls
Dragon wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 11:48 PM   #13
MrClean
I'm handy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon wagon View Post
Ya i think we will make the most of the build and keep it low buck . My daughter stacy a number of you have met . She and her girls stayed here until it was running tonight . Tomorrow ill stick Stacy under there to do an oil change , teach her to install and set some new points in it .

Instead of built by jeep it will read built by girls
Sounds like a great plan
Keep us posted on how it goes.
I saw a Wagoneer today down at Woodward that reminded me of the one you put together a few years back. It's funny how the low buck/nothing special builds are the ones we remember the most and have the most fun with!
Old 08-22-2010, 05:21 AM   #14
Jeeppoor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrClean View Post
Sounds like a great plan
Keep us posted on how it goes.
It's funny how the low buck/nothing special builds are the ones we remember the most and have the most fun with!
X2

Don't worry there's still two tires on the ground.

"Life's goal is not to reach the grave safely in a well preserved body. But to slide in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy Shit, what a ride."
Jeeppoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 10:02 AM   #15
Haggar
Hagnam Style

The 55-75 tub is mostly the same. You've got pedals through the floor from 55-71. Windshields are different over the years, although they physically interchange from 55-75. Differences in the wipers over the years (top mount vs bottom mount)

Front clip is the same from 55-71, 72+ is longer.

My 1959 CJ3b would go onto that frame pretty easy. Some fab would be required. Although the tub is not great on it, good for a wheeler, but not great for a cruiser.

Shame, I just scrapped a set of leaf springs from my 69, those are the same from 55-75. They are 1-7/8" wide, lots of leaves...

What trans in it, basic 3 speed I'm guessing?
Haggar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 10:09 AM   #16
Haggar
Hagnam Style

Checked your gears? 4 cyls had 5.38s but many of the V6s had 4.37s.

If you want a high-hood flatfender body for it, you could have the whole body for $400(I have the title that goes with it.). Fiberglass tub, good, but one side was comp-cut to stretch the wheelbase, don't know if that could be re-glassed or get some steel corner guards to cover it. The front clip is original steel, its workable. The windshield frame is brand now, has no glass in it. 3bs came with V6s, so it should all fit, the steering column, pedals, etc, ought to all transfer.

Shame, this summer I scrapped a lot of stuff that would have got to that. Two front axles, leaf springs, I think a set of fender, steering column, etc.
Old 08-22-2010, 06:25 PM   #17
Haggar
Hagnam Style

Oh, check your rear axle, see if its got 2-piece axles, or 1 piece axles. Used to be that axle alone was worth more than $200 easy. Only the 70.5-71s got the 30 spline 1 piece axleshafts in the offset dana 44, all the rest were 10 or 19 spline 2 piece ones...
Old 08-22-2010, 08:39 PM   #18
Dragon wagon

Well i make no bones about it , i dont know crap about these CJ's but i did find a pretty good deal today i think .

picked up another one . 68 with the huricane 4 banger . Motor is out but he said it did run good . I think im going to drop it back in and see how it runs . He pulled it to put a V8 in but never did .

4wheel warehouse glass body kit . new windshield frame , frame looks excellent brakes work good , checked them as we rolled it off the trailer . Still need parts off the 71 i bought , windsheild wiper motor for one plus ill have lots of spare parts .

I must have CJ bait in my pocket , there following me home

Old 08-22-2010, 08:43 PM   #19
Dragon wagon

Found that one for 500 about 20 miles away . Looks like a pretty easy to fix this one up . The body on it is actually for my 71 , ill move the frame mounts from the 71 to the 68 to correct there cobble work .

So Jason , the 71 has a single stick T case . 68 has a twin stick T case . uh what are these ? One a T 18 the other T 20 ? which is which ?

Also i drove the dauntless around today , drive train seems fine it far as trans T case and axels all work .

Also both have the one piece rear axel shaft . Dont know what is or isnt orginal . 68 shows 43,000 miles . 71 shows 30,000

Last edited by Dragon wagon : 08-22-2010 at 08:46 PM.
Old 08-22-2010, 08:47 PM   #20
Haggar
Hagnam Style

Both should be Dana 18s, they came in twin and single sticks. Dana 20s showed up in 1972.

Hehehe, when you get bored and want to sell, put me first in line..

Actually, if you end up having parts you don't need from that basket case, I might be interested in getting some to put my flattie body on...